Job title: Youth Development Advisor
Reporting To: Programme Manager
Salary: £26K FTE
Location: London/Head Office Tooting/Across Sites
Contract: Part-time ( 3 days per week) /12 Months FTC
Business Launchpad transforms young lives through enterprise. We offer holistic and personalised business guidance and support to in-need marginalised young entrepreneurs across London, aged 16 to 30 through workshops, programmes and 1:1 business coaching. We work in collaboration with young people to enable them to start their own business or move into employment or/and education and training. We aim to develop approaches that empower, support and encourage young people to build confidence, follow their aspirations and fulfil their potential.
Business Launchpad is powered by Tooting Works, which provides affordable office spaces, as well as co-working spaces. As a social enterprise, 100% of Tooting Works profits fund the charitable work of Business Launchpad. Tooting Works is more than a business – it is a community hub providing adaptable, affordable and connected space at the heart of Tooting.
Young people are at the heart of everything of we do.
The Youth Mentor & Employment and Business Support role is all about helping young people aged 8-15 and 16-30. You’ll be assisting the Programme Manager in providing tailored guidance and support, including personal growth, career development, and entrepreneurial skills development. Some evening work might be required to support program delivery.
To succeed in this role, you’ll need to be a good communicator, enjoy organising and implementing plans, and have a strong initiative with attention to detail to provide meaningful 1:1 support. Your main responsibilities include:
- Responsibilities for Age Group 8-15 (Youth Mentorship):
- Schedule 1:1 meetings with young people, involving their parents and guardians.
- Conduct minimum 45-minute 1:1 Youth Mentorship sessions.
- Build positive and trusting relationships with young people aged 8-15.
- Engage young individuals in 1:1 sessions to encourage creativity, critical thinking, and problem-solving.
- Offer guidance on personal development, study habits, and time management.
- Create a safe and inclusive environment for young learners to express thoughts, challenges, and aspirations.
- Collaborate with parents and guardians to ensure consistent support for young people.
- Responsibilities for Age Group 16-30 (Employment and Business Support):
- Schedule 1:1 meetings with young people.
- Conduct minimum 45-minute 1:1 employment and business support sessions.
- Help young people identify their strengths and weaknesses to pursue their career goals.
- Provide personalised career development support to individuals aged 16-30, including assistance with CV building, interview preparation, job search strategies, and professional networking.
- Research and partner with local businesses and organisations to create job opportunities and internships for young individuals.
- Offer coaching and mentorship for those interested in entrepreneurship or starting their own businesses.
Proven experience working with young people in Youth Mentorship & Employment and Business Support roles, catering to the age groups of 8-15 and 16-30.
Excellent communication skills and the ability to connect effectively with young people.
Understanding of career exploration and job search strategies for the specified age groups.
Familiarity with entrepreneurial concepts and basic business knowledge (for the age group 16-30).
Empathetic, patient, and dedicated to supporting the growth of young individuals.
Ability to create engaging and interactive 1:1 support sessions.
Strong organizational skills and the ability to tailor guidance to individual needs.
Commitment to maintaining confidentiality and providing a safe space for sharing.
Overall, this role plays a crucial part in shaping the future of young individuals and helping them navigate the challenges of personal development, education, and career aspirations.
The duties and responsibilities described are not a comprehensive list and therefore the scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands.
This role will require a successful DBS check and a Level 3 safeguarding certification, which can be gained on the job.
You must a UK resident and have eligibility to work in the UK. Please note, only suitable applicants will be contacted.
Please email your CV to email@example.com with a covering letter stating why you are interested in this role.
Equal Opportunities Statement of policy
Business Launchpad aims to be an equal opportunity employer, and has a policy for this purpose. This policy covers all aspects of employment, including vacancy advertising, selection, recruitment and training, conditions of service and reasons for termination of employment.
We aim to eliminate unlawful discrimination, valuing diversity in respect of age, disability, colour, ethnic origin, nationality, national origin or race, gender, marital status, sexuality, religion or belief, responsibility for dependents or unrelated criminal conviction.
To ensure that this policy is operating effectively (and for no other purpose) the company maintains records of employees’ and applicants’ racial origins, gender and disability.